Who Is Cam Yearty?

My photo
Athens, GA, United States
Cam is a 24 year old Environmental Planning and Design Master's student at the University of Georgia who is trying to better understand the world in which we live. He is doing this by finishing graduate school and trying to GET A JOB. HIRE ME! I DO MAPS!

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

GIS in the PLK

I just installed my ESRI ArcMap software on my personal laptop in my Plunkett dorm room. It comes loaded with some base maps of the different regions of the United States, but as for any detailed maps or data sets, it is quite bare. To combat this problem, I Googled for some data sets. I came up with a site, http://www.fws.gov/data/statdata/, which has many links to the different States' public data sets. I registered with the Georgia Data Clearinghouse at http://data.georgiaspatial.org, which has let me access many of the different maps and data sets for the State of Georgia. I am busy now playing with the ArcMap software and learning more about how it works, what style maps are pleasing to the eye, and how to manipulate the data that I place onto the map. I will report back to you when I do something exciting!



Tomorrow's just your future yesterday

1 comment:

  1. Hey man, sweet post. It opened up all kinds of doors for me. I think I'm now interested in all things GIS. Keep up the great work, new guy

    ReplyDelete